WCPL 3D Printing Policy
The Library’s 3D printers are available to the public to make three-dimensional objects in plastic using a design that is uploaded from a digital computer file.
I. The Library charges a fee of $0.06 per gram of PLA filament used (including rafts and supports).
II. The Library’s 3D printers may be used only for lawful purposes. The public will not be permitted to use the Library’s 3D printers to create material that is:
- Prohibited by local, state or federal law.
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the Library environment.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the printers will not be used to reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent or trademark protection.
III. The Library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
IV. Items printed from Library 3D printers that are not picked up within 7 days of completion will become property of the Library. Items must be picked up by the individual requesting the print.
V. Only designated Library staff and patrons supervised by designated staff may have direct, hands-on access to the 3D printer.
VI. Prints estimated to take over 7 hours to complete will be scaled down to accommodate library operations.
VII. In the event of a print failing to complete:
- If estimated print time is less than 3 hours staff will retry the print on the same day.
- If estimated print time is greater than 3 hours the print will be moved to the back of the queue.
- In the event of the print failing twice staff may request a redesigned file or refuse the print.
VIII. Prints will be left as-is upon completion; finishing work (such removal of excess material) will be left to the patron.