Computer Use Policy
Though the Internet is a valuable information resource, it is an unregulated medium, and some websites may be inaccurate, unreliable, personally offensive, or even illegal. The Library has no control over information accessed through the Internet, nor are they responsible for any damages resulting from accessing the Internet.
The following behaviors are not permitted on Library computers, some of which may violate local, state, and/or federal laws. A Library computer may not be used to:
- view, display, or transmit obscene materials, with the library reserving the right to exercise judgment
- engage in any illegal purpose, including but not limited to: hacking, misrepresentation, harassment, slander, violating copyright and/or software agreements
- alter, damage, or abuse Library hardware or software or other Library property
- create an intimidating or hostile environment
The Library reserves the right to prohibit violators of Library computer policies/procedures from using the Library computers.
While staff are happy to assist you in searching for information or in choosing websites for your children, the Library staff’s availability to help users with basic computer use is limited. Additionally, Library staff may not have knowledge of all Library computer programs, nor will they be familiar with how to use all websites. Library staff will be glad to assist you as they are able and time permitting, but users must have basic computer skills.
All minors must have prior parental approval before they may access the Internet. As with other materials, parents and guardians are responsible for information their children may access. The Library strongly encourages parents and guardians to guide and monitor their children in using the Internet. Staff will be happy to assist you and your children in selecting appropriate websites.
- Each patron must show his or her own Warren County Public Library card to access the Internet.
- The patron must agree to the terms of the library’s Computer Use Policy before using a computer.
- Computers may be reserved for limited length sessions; sessions may be extended if no one is waiting to use the computer.
- The patron may reserve one session of computer time one day in advance. Reservations will be cancelled if the patron is more than five minutes late for a reserved session.
- Staff may limit to one person per machine if necessary.
- The patron will be limited to five pages of printing per day at no charge. The patron must clear all printing requests with staff prior to printing. Additional pages may be printed for $.10 per page. The user may bring in his or her paper but will be charged for pages printed in excess of five. Color printing may be available for $.50 per page.
PATRONS UNDER AGE 18
- Patrons under age 18 must have a parent or guardian fill out a library card application indicating whether or not they have permission for Internet access.
- A patron under 18 who does not have permission to access the Internet, or who does not present a validated library card, may only use computers for word processing, educational games, or reference tools.
GUEST INTERNET USERS
- A patron may be a Guest Internet User on a temporary basis if he/she is over 18 years old but is not eligible to get a Library card. Each Guest must present a valid photo ID.
- A patron under the age of 18 may be a Guest Internet User only if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian authorizing Internet access.
Use of the Library computers implies acceptance of this policy.
Approved by the Warren County Public Library Board of Trustees December 2008.
This policy may be revised by the Library as necessary.
Last revised March 2013.