Create your design in any 3D drafting software and have it printed in the Idea Lab.
All designs must be submitted for printing via our online submission form below.
- Any 3D drafting software may be used to create a design as long as the file can be saved in .stl or .obj file format.
- We recommend Tinkercad or SketchUp Free which are free web-based programs. Tinkercad and SketchUp Free may be accessed from any computer with an internet connection.
- Digital designs also are available from various file-sharing databases such as Thingiverse, MyMiniFactory, and Pinshape.
- Browse the 621.988 call numbers in our adult and juvenile nonfiction areas, or search the catalog for three-dimensional printing.
The 3D printer has a build volume of 9.9″ x 7.8″ x 5.9″ [25.2 cm x 19.9 cm x 15.0 H cm] and prints at a layer resolution of 100 microns. The extruder has a nozzle diameter of .4 mm.
MakerBot PLA Filament Pricing
- $.06 per gram of material used including rafts & supports
Before submitting, view the 3D Printing Policy on the Policies Page.
- Use the form to submit your 3D file (in .stl or .obj file format). Staff will add the model to the printing queue.
- The files will be readied for printing in MakerBot Print. A staff member will view all files in MakerBot Print or other authorized software before printing.
- Files over 15 hrs will not be printed or will be scaled down per the 3D Printing Policy. (updated 7/21/20)
- The Library has black, white, gray, blue, red, and yellow filament colors. If you have a color preference please state it when you submit your print file.
- You will be contacted by the a staff member when your print is ready for pickup. It will be held for 7 days.