Summer Reading 2022
Summer Reading runs from May 31st – July 31st
Register & Complete a Treasure Map or Reading Log to Win Prizes!
Summer Reading is a summer reading program provided by WCPL. Its purpose is to engage individuals & families in activities all summer long! The goal is to prevent the “educational slide” that can occur in school-aged children during breaks. We also strive to promote community engagement and familial bonding through interactive programs provided throughout the months of June and July, beginning with our amazing kick-off event on Thursday, June 9!
Join in on the fun by going to our calendar for a list of programs!
KY Saves 529, the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) and the Kentucky Department for Library and Archives (KDLA) are excited to announce the launch of Explore Oceans of Possibilities College Savings Summer Reading Sweepstakes, a special opportunity for families who participate in the 2022 Summer Reading Program. The sweepstakes encourages Kentucky children to participate in the summer reading or summer learning program at their local public libraries and offers a chance to win a $529 KY Saves 529 savings plan account. Each winner’s local library will also receive $500 for future reading programs. Enter at kysaves.com/oceans.
Download and print your treasure map or reading log at home or pick up one from any WCPL Location
Kids receive prizes for each milestone reached along the way to build their very own PIRATE COSTUME — a hat, bandanna, pirate monkey stuffed animal, tattoo, eyepatch, and treasure!
Teens & Adults will receive a WCPL Summer Swag Pack which includes a drink cozie, re-usable straw, and sunglasses.
Kids prizes may be redeemed after each milestone. Make sure to register to be entered into the grand prize drawings!
Participants get to choose which grand prize drawing they would like to be enrolled in!
The options are as follows:
Kayak & Oars
- Donated by Wal-Mart on Morgantown Rd!
Family Fun Package
- Hot Rods suite for 25 & free snacks for a home game of your choice, 4 tickets to the National Corvette Museum, 4 Lost River Cave & Boat Tour tickets, 10 50% off Beech Bend tickets, 4 tickets to the Robotic Milker Farm Tour at Chaney’s Dairy Barn with free ice cream, and a gift certificate to Conundrum Workshop
- Hot Rods suite & snacks donated by ELPO!
Local Business Basket
- $25 gift certificate to Spencer’s and a bag of coffee, $25 gift certificate to Baked, $100 gift certificate to Tattoo Heartland, $25 gift certificate to Mellow Matt’s, $25 gift certificate to Community Farmers Market, Cutting board + cheese knives + hand towel and art print from Candle Makers on the Square, Rickman Pottery Kentucky mug and soap/sugar scrub from SOKY Soapworks, $10 gift certificate to Pie Queen, Hammock Chair from Nat’s Outdoor Sports, and a coupon to Ferguson’s Fine Jewelry
Family Board Game Bundle
- Guess Who, Trouble, Twister, Apples to Apples, Sorry, Scrabble, Taboo, Clue, & Candy Land
- Donated by Wal-Mart on Morgantown Road!
• Purple Food Bus @ Main Library every weekday from 11:20 AM – 12:15 PM •
Make sure to check out our events calendar for all of our programs during the summer months!
To register for these events, click the images below.
Create your own stuffed sea creature! Register in advance by clicking on the date below (coming soon):
Jacinda Townsend will speak at the Bob Kirby Branch on Thursday, June 9th at 6 PM. Townsend will discuss her latest novel, Mother Country.
Ruta Sepetys will speak at The Capitol on Thursday, July 28th at 6 PM. Sepetys will discus her book Salt to the Sea.
Virtual Book Clubs
Join in with local author, Court Stevens, as she hosts a virtual book club surrounding her latest book, We Were Kings! Copies of this book are available for purchase at all library locations. Please register in advance here.
Join #1 New York Times Bestselling Author, Ruta Sepetys, in her virtual book club discussion surrounding her book, Salt to the Sea. Please register in advance and let us know how many FREE copies of her book you need for you and your group! Ages 12+
Free Movies at The Capitol
Kids movie every Tuesday @ 12:30 PM
- May 31st – Encanto
- June 7th – Finding Nemo
- June 14th – Finding Dory
- June 21st – Swiss Family Robinson
- June 28th – Little Mermaid
- July 5th – Moana
- July 12th – Oceans Documentary
- July 19th – Shark Tale
- July 26th – Atlantis
- Monday, June 13th @ 6 PM – Pirates of the Caribbean
- Monday, June 27th @ 6 PM – Oceans Documentary
- Wednesday, June 29th @ 5:30 PM – Free Willy (after Build-A-Whale program)
- Monday, July 18th @ 6 PM – Jaws
- Monday, July 25th @ 6 PM – Aquaman
Walmart, Nat’s Outdoor Sports, National Corvette Museum, Beech Bend, Lost River Cave, Bowling Green Hot Rods, Conundrum Workshop, Azzip Pizza, Tattoo Heartland, Spencer’s Coffee, Community Farmer’s Market, Baked, Chaney’s Dairy Barn, Mellow Matt’s Music and More, Rickman Pottery, Culver’s, WCPR. BGPR/City of BG, BGISD, WCPS, Med Center Health, BRDHD, WKU, Lifeskills, Early Childhood Council, Glean KY, Baker Arboretum & Downing Museum, BikeWalkBG, KHEAA, SKYCTC, Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana, Child Care Aware, Arts for All, Vertical Excape, BG Police, Plano VFD, OFT, Family Enrichment Center, Tennessee Valley Lego Club